With Hello Natural Co being a Cruelty-Free brand, it has won the hearts of many people who are looking to transition to products with all-natural ingredients.
At some point in the past couple of years, I’m sure you’ve heard a bit of buzz about one product in particular that you use (hopefully) on a daily basis – deodorant & antiperspirant. Hello Natural’s Deodorant, one of the top selling items in our company, is the go-to deodorant for many – expecting moms, breastfeeding moms, moms, children, and people with sensitive skin.
*But before we move on, let’s note the key difference between a deodorant and an antiperspirant. Deodorant is what masks odor, and an antiperspirant prevents sweating. Now, you know the drill… a lot of things that you read on the internet might not necessarily be true, or, you are just overwhelmed with so many different articles, blog posts, and videos, of conflicting information.
So, what’s the deal?
Well folks, after a day of reading numerous articles about natural deodorants versus regular deodorants, here is a run-down of key things to know and consider when you are debating on whether or not to make the switch:
- Regular deodorants and antiperspirant have aluminum compounds in them in order to prevent you from sweating and masking odor. The aluminum reacts with the salt in your sweat to plug your sweat ducts/pores.
- Ever notice your wonderful white top has a weird yellowish stain in the underarm section? Well, that is actually caused by the aluminum from your sweat ducts being released!
- A lot of studies show that aluminum is potentially linked to breast cancer in women.
- Going natural for your deodorant allows your body to sweat, which is healthy! It allows your body to regulate its temperature, just like it is meant to do.
- Natural deodorant does not mask odor, but rather it prevents it naturally.
- Natural deodorant is safe for moms, expecting moms, breastfeeding moms, and children.
- Natural deodorants are most likely to be vegan and cruelty-free.
|Hello Natural Deodorants||Regular Deodorants|
|Coconut Oil||Aluminum Compounds|
|Baking Soda||Stearyl Alcohol|
|Sweet Almond Oil||Triethanolamine & Diethanolamine|
|Diatomaceous Earth (Food Grade)||Artificial Colors|
|Vitamin E||Artificial Fragrances|
|Lavender Oil||Hydrogenated Castor Oil|
|Tea Tree Oil||C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate|
|Peppermint Oil||Ppg-14 Butyl Ether|
|More words that no one can truly pronounce…|
Great, so now what? Right!?
Let’s talk about some of the key ingredients very quickly:
Hello Natural Deodorants
|Coconut Oil||A natural antibacterial and antifungal. Also acts as a great moisturizer.|
|Baking Soda||Prevents odor-causing bacteria from forming|
|Shea Butter||Key ingredient in nourishing and hydrating your skin|
|Vitamin E||An amazing antioxidant used in skincare|
|Bentonite Clay||Lightens scars and acne marks. Clay itself is an ingredient which removes toxins from your pores|
|Kaolin Clay||Cleanses and exfoliates any debris and dead skin cells which live on the surface of your skin|
|Activated Charcoal||This ingredient actually accelerates the release of aluminum to detox your skin|
|Lavender Oil||A super essential oil – helps to cleanse any cuts, and soothe skin irritations|
|Tea Tree Oil||Key ingredient for infections – fungal, acne, etc.|
|Peppermint Oil||Gives products antiseptic properties, and soothes the skin|
This is the ingredient that is used to mask bad odor. Sounds great, right?
BUT what it really means is the aluminum plugs the pores in your underarms in order for the odor to not come through.
|Parabens||A common chemical used in products as a preservative – which disrupts a person’s hormonal balance|
|Triclosan||This is used to kill bacteria during the manufacturing process, and when on your skin.|
This chemical could cause damage to your heart, liver as well as your central nervous system.
Also known to be a skin irritant if you have sensitive skin.
|Triethanolamine & Diethanolamine||
Chemicals which can be absorbed into your skin and affect the kidney as well as liver.
*THIS PRODUCT IS BANNED IN EUROPE
With all this information in mind, it seems like natural deodorants should be the way to go, as most of the ingredients are found in the food we consume – a great sign! While regular deodorants are made mostly from ingredients we can’t pronounce. Why risk it?
If you are committed to replacing your regular deodorant for a natural one, here is a quick and easy step-by-step guide on how to go about this transition properly!
*Making the Switch:
- Before you go from your regular deodorant right to a natural deodorant, DO ALLOW your body to detox as well as cleanse the chemicals it may have absorbed. The aluminum in your old deodorant could react with the baking soda in the natural deodorant and may cause some skin irritation!
- In the meantime, you may apply some tea tree oil lavender oil and coconut oil as a temporary mixture to control any bad odors.
- Exfoliate your underarms weekly, and wash them daily to keep them clean and to prevent odor.
- Stick to natural fiber clothing (cotton, silk, hemp) for the first few days of your transition of you feel like you are sweating a lot (this would be normal as your underarms are purging and adjusting). Polyester and acrylic clothing traps moisture and may cause bacterial growth and a bad odor.
- Finally, give your body at least a month to adjust to your new natural deodorant! It will all be worth it in the end.
*Keep in mind that this does not apply to everyone since our bodies are all different! The reason there is a “transition” period, is because your body may go through a purging period to detoxify itself from the aluminum and other harsh chemicals!
Visit here to make a change!
So you’ve heard the whispers, huh? You’ve heard the name ‘Hello Natural Co’ being thrown around, maybe you’ve seen a signature pink label or caught a glimpse of a product on a friend’s shelf, perhaps you’ve stumbled upon our website or Instagram page... Now you find...
You've been so wonderful this year, that we want to return the favour! We all know that recycling and being kind to the earth is the current trend, one we'd honestly like to see stick around, and so we've come up with a few fun and exciting ways to recycle...
Good moisturisers are hard to find, it’s just the sad reality we live in. Typically we tend to settle for moisturisers that don’t completely cover or cater to every need our skin has, or we go for something filled with something nasty that causes more...
WE LOVE A GOOD DIY… There’s just something so fulfilling about spending a day, an afternoon or even just ten minutes searching and whipping up a quick DIY project! With so many to choose from and so many helpful DIY masters out there, you’re sure to find something to...
Shampoo Bars - Absolutely Everything You Need to Know! Although shampoo bars seem to be a recent trend in our current day and age, bars of soap and shampoo alike were actually a popular choice back in the early 1900s! Bottled shampoo, conditioner and soap all rose to...
Hair tonic. You've heard the words. But is this kinda thing just a load of rubbish or does it actually really work in boosting the growth of your hair? We here at Hello Natural Co want you to be confident in yourself and we know that hair can be a huge part of feeling...
Sometimes the best additions to your skincare regime are the ones that sound the scariest!The words "face serum" or "facial oil" tend to strike fear into the hearts of many - especially those that already class their skin as oily - because who really wants to add more...
This post was written by Emily Fielder, a skin care enthusiast who decided to put Hello Natural Co's skin care to the test. She calls this "The All-Natural Experiment" We've all heard the hype. Natural skincare seems to be all the rage these days, with multiple brands...
Antiperspirants? Thank u, next. The words “all-natural” usually arouse one of two responses. Either it’s the crinkled nose, furrowed brow and the questioning eyes silently asking whether you’re some kind of weird hippie, or there’s the overexcited,...
If you’re into skincare, I guarantee you’ve heard about Pink Australian Clay. It has taken the world by storm in recent years and let me tell you - this was a hype-train that I wanted to board. I’d heard the stories, I’d seen the videos on Instagram, I was ready to...